CCM Premier P2.5 Senior Goalie Equipment Combo
CCM Premier P2.5 Senior Goalie Leg Pads
New for 2018 is the CCM Premier P2.5 Goalie Leg Pads. CCM Has made a lot of new changes for the 2018 Premier line. The first major difference is the weight, although the Premier line has always been well received, it was very heavy by todays standards. CCM has decreased the weight of the Premier line by more the 20% and now this series went from being one of the heaviest to one of the lightest pads on the goalie market today. CCM has also softened the boot on the Premier line which does help the goalie transition from the butterfly technique to the recovery position. The new Premier P2.5 pads has changed to a quick strapping system which allows the goalie to get dressed and undressed very quickly. The quick strap system is made of elastic straps which allow the pads to be worn tighter the goalies leg without losing rotation. With the traditional leather straps of previous generations, the straps need to be worn loose to allow the pad to rotate properly when the goalie went into the butterfly technique. With the new elastic strap system, the pads can be worn tighter and still accomplish the same desired effect. Another new feature for 2018 is one break on the vertical roll, this gives the pad a bit more flex then the previous generation but still keeps the thigh rise stiff and strong – which is need for wider butterfly style goalie. The Premier pads were built to maximize coverage and one break is the most you would want on this style pad. If you need a double break pad, then please look to the E-Flex line – if your butterfly is not wide enough to maximize coverage, then a maximum coverage pad is probably not for you.
There are many questions to the difference between the CCM Premier P2.9 and the P2.5 lines. Basically this comes down to quality of materials. Both are built on the same design patterns, identical in most ways. The big difference is in the materials and how they will last. Both pads will protect the goalie, so it is not like one pad is far superior protection wise then the other. It will come down to use and durability. If you are playing once or twice a week, the P2.5 or the P2.9 will be a good options for you. If you are playing three, four, five times a week, the P2.9 is the better option in this scenario because the materials are better and are capable of taking more abuse. The P2.5 would work in the second scenario however the pads will break down much quicker. It is important for the goalie to calculate their playing time when considering which pad is best to purchase.
The CCM Premier line is made for the “butterfly” of blocking style goalie. Goalies that give up some movement in order to create more coverage are the types of goalies that choose this style of pads.
CCM Premier P2.5 Senior Goalie Leg Pad Features:
- Outer Flex – Single break for maximum coverage.
- Inner Flex – Pre-curved with no break core for enhanced 5-hole closure.
- Boot Angle – 60 degree angle to help direct pucks into the corner or boards.
- Boot Channel – Shallow and soft for a faster transition into butterfly.
- Leg Channel / Calf Strap Option – Loose fit without a calf strap. Lightweight setup with an optimized QMSS at calf for a quick response.
- Knee Strap Option – No strap – 2″ elastic knee for a custom fit.
- Senior Knee Cradle – Recessed foam with a removable knee cradle wrap (senior only). Soft foam without an outer knee wrap (junior only). Deeper knee cradle for enhanced 5-hole closure.
- Knee Raiser – 3D Grip/PE foam (senior only) and Nylon/PE foam (junior only). Helps seal the pad to the ice.
- Core – L1TECORE technology to help structural integrity. Offers powerful rebound control.
CCM Premier P2.5 Senior Goalie Catch Glove
For 2018, CCM has decided to add some new features to the ultra popular Premier goalie catch glove. Starting with the traditional features, the CCM Premier P2.5 glove keeps its traditional 60 degree break. This break goes back the mid 2000’s starting with Koho 590 model, then transitioning to the RBK Premiers, then on to the Reebok Premiers and now into the CCM Premiers. This P2.5 still uses the one piece cuff that has been used for the past four generations of Premier gloves. The one piece cuff maximizes the surface area of the glove and is perfect for the blocking style or butterfly style goalie. As for the changes to the new Premier P2.5 glove, the most obvious and visual is the change to a double t pocket with a u shape design at the base. The double t pocket creates a softer feel then the traditional singe t pocket of the previous generations. The u shape base of the double t allows the glove to break in much easier then in the past. The inside of the new Premier glove is almost identical as the past generations with one exception. CCM added a Velcro strap across the back of the hand that allows the glove to be worn tighter then in the past. The CCM Premier P2.5 comes standard with a game ready palm construction.
There are a lot of questions about the differences in the Premier P2.9 glove and the Premier P2.5 Glove. Both use the same design patterns but the materials are different. The quality of the materials is higher on the P2.9 which allows it to take more abuse. The P2.9 glove is recommended for 3 to 5 uses per week compared to the P2.5 glove which is recommended for 1 to 3 uses per week. Depending on how much or how little you play, that would the main deciding factor when deciding between the two gloves.
CCM Premier P2.5 Goalie Catch Glove Features:
- Cuff/Thumb – One-piece to maximize coverage
- Break angle – 590 – closer to the thumb’s break angle.
- Palm Stiffness – Game-ready fit with an easy break-in process.
- Hand Adjustment – Webbing strap through the cuff for a quick easy adjustment.
- Pocket – Double straight-tee to help track the puck with ease.
- Finger guard – Low density finger padding for increased protection.
- Cuff/Thumb composition – Injection molded PE foam for enhanced impact absorption.
- Finger stalls – Nash material for a quick release.