Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro Intermediate Goalie Leg Pads – Special Edition
The is pad is exclusive to Goalie Plus: New for 2023 is the Special Edition Iceberg Graphic Goalie Leg Pads. This pad was based off the Velocity V9 & V10 leg pads. We choose to go with the Iceberg graphic as this has been extremely popular with Vaughn’s college and pro goalies. In the past, a customer could only order the Iceberg graphic in the Pro Carbon Velocity series. This meant that there was not an option for an Intermediate or Junior sized goalie to get this graphic – but now they can!
The Velocity Iceberg Pro Intermediate goalie leg pads will come with a double break on the vertical roll. With the tremendous success of our V9 Double Break pads, we decided to continue this with the Iceberg Velocity in 2023. So, what does the double break feature really mean? Well, we will start from the beginning, the Vaughn Velocity has always been the benchmark for hybrid goalie pads in the hockey industry. Starting with the original Vaughn Velocity line back in the early 2000’s through the Velocity V7’s, the Velocity has always been a double break pad (double break defined as a break in the vertical roll above and below the knee). At Goalies Plus we felt it was necessary to offer this option because of the functional aspect the double break provides. It is our opinion that when a goalie is selecting a Velocity goal pad, they are choosing it because it has softer, more flexible feel which a hybrid goalie prefers. The softer and flexible feel allows the pad to flex more as the goalie moves in and out of a variety of movements and techniques.
The double break allows for increased flexibility and greater vertical and lateral flex (more independent flexibility of the pad – top, middle and bottom). By having more lateral flex in the pads, the goalie has greater control and more natural in their movements compared to a stiffer version. Even if the goalies butterfly technique is wide enough in for a single or no break pad – the double break makes skating movements much easier around the crease because of the lateral flex (twisting flex of the pad is another way to phrase this). The smaller the pad, the stiffer the pad becomes, therefore a having more flex vertically and laterally helps smaller goalies for move around without becoming bound up in their own equipment.
Another reason we went with the double break was the increase coverage in the butterfly technique. A hybrid goalie considers themselves a hybrid for many reasons, size, mobility, body limitations, etc. A very common characteristic of a hybrid goalie is a narrow to medium width butterfly technique. Since a hybrid goalie will still utilize the butterfly technique, it is important that the pad can do its part. By having the double break on the pads, even a narrow width goalie can still perform a butterfly technique with full closure. Without the additional break in the pad, there is a possibility that the hybrid goalie will leave a gap in their five-hole because the pads will not wrap around enough and seal the five-hole area.
The face of the Velocity Iceberg leg pads will have a very active rebound. The shin area of the 2023 Iceberg pad has been stiffened to create the more active rebounds that goalies are looking for.
The Velocity Iceberg Pro Senior leg pads will continue to use the popular Quick Slide material on the inner edge of the pads (as well as other friction areas). The Quick Slide material greatly increases side to side movement and makes bad third period ice feel like a fresh clean sheet of ice. Vaughn has also widened the leg channel of the Velocity Iceberg and extended the wrap around protection on the back of the legs. The knee landing area on the Velocity Iceberg has been lengthened from previous generations. This provides a second level of coverage in the butterfly position and is especially helpful for shots that squeeze through the thigh rise while making a save using the butterfly technique. The lengthened blocks seal nicely behind the thigh rise and seal up these types of situations.
The boot strap on the Velocity Iceberg goalie leg pads will be a leather strap. The stock Velocity pads have come with an elastic boot strap. We felt there was too much give in the elastic boot strap since goalies that want a boot strap generally want it to be snug and not stretching. This locks the pad in place better and does not allow the pad to slide down the goalie’s leg and over the front of the skate. For goalies that do not like a bootstrap, it can easily be cut out.
Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro Intermediate Goalie Leg Pads – Special Edition Features:
- Model Year: 2023
- Goalies Plus Special Edition Iceberg Graphic
- Goalies Plus Special Edition Double Break
- Leather bootstrap instead of elastic bootstrap
- Firmer front surface gives more active rebound
- Quick slide material on inner pad edge
- Bottom trim with quick slide material
- Lower skate strap with Elastic and Velcro closure
- Wide inner leg cradle with wider shape
- Extended back leg coverage
- Lower profile outside roll with single break style
- Plus 2” thigh rise with square shaped inside edge
- Thinner outside panel profile for less bulk
- Pre-curved shape for precise shape
- New inner knee cradle pad is adjustable
- Two-way adjustable knee cradle strap
- Knee cradle center with MSH speeds pad and leg rotation
- Wider inner knee landing surface
- Three knee roll design
- Inner core is more rebound active for 2023
- Scoop bend with easier flex
- Outer knee cradle pad is adjustable or removable
- Reinforced instep over skate
- Eight exclusive colors:
- Black/White/Orange – Black middle section, White Iceberg top and bottom sections, Orange outlines of the Iceberg graphic
- Black/Red/White – Black middle section, White Iceberg top and red Iceberg bottom sections, Red & White outlines of the Iceberg graphic
- White/Black – White middle section, White Iceberg top and bottom sections, Black outlines of the Iceberg graphic
- Black/White/Sport Gold – Black middle section, White Iceberg top and bottom sections, Sport Gold outlines of the Iceberg graphic
- White/Red/Blue – White middle section, Blue Iceberg top and red Iceberg bottom sections, Red & Blue outlines of the Iceberg graphic
- Blue/Black/White – Blue middle section, White Iceberg top and Black Quick Slide bottom sections, Black Quick Slide & White outlines of the Iceberg graphic
- Silver/Black/White – Silver middle section, Black Quick Slide bottom Iceberg section with white outline, Top of the pad will be all silver (no top Iceberg graphic – only bottom)
- All Black – Black middle section, Black Iceberg top and bottom sections, Black Quick Slide outlines of the Iceberg graphic
Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro Intermediate Goalie Catch Glove – Special Edition
New for 2023 is the Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Intermediate Catch Glove. The design of the Velocity Iceberg Pro glove keeps the traditional 60 degree. The Iceberg glove has the split T with a U shaped pocket. At the base of the pocket there is a single t that splits into a double T the higher it goes in the pocket. The U shaped design with the single T at the base allows the glove much more flexibility than a traditional glove with a double T going the entire way to the base of the pocket. As the pocket transitions from the single T at the base to the double T in the pocket, the glove becomes very soft and deep in the main catching area of the glove. The Velocity V9 Pro Carbon glove can be heat molded for a customized fit.
A deeper look into the Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro glove will show a continuation of the very popular V9 specs. For the thumb angle, Vaughn makes the thumb angle a bit to feel like their more traditional gloves – particularly the 5500 and the first generation V1 glove (commonly referred to as the Kipper Spec). The angle has a more natural feel when closing the glove and seems to give better closure then previous generations. Vaughn will continue to use the added layer of protection in the palm area which gives this glove the same protection as higher priced full custom catch gloves. The thumb mold has been shortened by one inch which allows the Velocity Iceberg glove to open up wider and take up more surface area. Vaughn also used a molded palm and thumb insert versus a pressed plastic palm and thumb insert. The reason this is important is because the molded design will keep its shape for a much, much longer period of time compared to a pressed plastic. When shots constantly hit a catch glove, the pressed plastic glove loses its shape (particularly in the thumb area) and will become flat over time. This causes shots to bounce out of the glove instead of deflecting into the pocket.
Goalies Plus has added a skate lace pocket to the Special Edition colors. This gives the pocket a softer feel and overall easier to catch the puck.
Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro Intermediate Goalie Catch Glove Features:
- Model Year: 2023
- Exclusive Iceberg Graphic
- Special Edition skate lace pocket
- Two-piece cuff and front design
- Defined break point for easy closing
- Reinforced finger perimeter edge
- Floating cuff design for added wrist movement
- Hex mesh inner lining for faster drying
- HD Foam in the back finger area for added protection to the backhand
- Finer tip deflecting rail with HD Foams
- Deep back thumb molds add stability and comfort
- 45” max perimeter size
- Cuff with no binding maximizes blocking surface
- Four section backhand padding for extra flexibility
- Internal grip rail on inside palm for more closing grip
- Mesh finger stalls for comfort and heat dispersal
- Full wrist strap allows for tighter adjustment
- Added padding in wrist strap for increased comfort
- Regular – Glove goes on the left hand
- Full Right – Glove goes on the right hand
Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro Intermediate Goalie Blocker – Special Edition
New for 2023 is the Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro intermediate goalie blocker. The main item of concern for Vaughn when designing the Velocity Iceberg blocker was getting a more active rebound off the blocker face and the Iceberg blocker does have a more active rebound compared to past Velocity blockers. With a binding less surface, the Velocity Iceberg Intermediate blockers are proportionately sized perfectly for an intermediate sized goalie with a 42 inch perimeter (14 X 7 blocker face). The finger area provides an index finger trigger design which helps the goalie control the paddle of the goalie stick more effectively when they are in their ready position. Vaughn also designed the Velocity Iceberg Pro senior blocker with a floating cuff to enhance wrist flexibility for puck control when stick handling. The thumb of the Velocity Iceberg is a molded design which ensures the thumb protection does not lose it shape over time. The palm of the Velocity Iceberg is angled specifically for the needs of a goalie versus taking a player glove palm and throwing on a goalie blocker. This will improve comfort and overall performance.
Goalies Plus will be offering eight custom Special Edition colors in the Velocity Iceberg series.
Vaughn Velocity Iceberg Pro Intermediate Goalie Blocker Features:
- Model Year: 2023
- Exclusive Iceberg Graphic
- Thick foam inner board for increased stiffness
- Top bend design for puck deflection
- Laced down blocker face for superior puck control
- Back hand cushion pad for comfort and protection
- Palm with index and small finger trigger design
- Finger protectors with composite core
- Side finger protection
- Large index finger side protection
- New palm design for improved fit and comfort
- Full Pro Spec construction
- Side shield with HD foam for stability
- 42in. Perimeter
- Floating cuff design for increased wrist movement
- Regular – Blocker goes on the right hand
- Full Right – Blocker goes on the left hand