Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Leg Pads – Special Edition
The Vaughn Velocity is turning double digits this generation. No other equipment line has had the lasting sustainability of the Velocity series. Building off the extremely popular Velocity V9, the new Velocity V10 makes some changes that will continue to improve the Velocity pads. Staring with weight, the Velocity V10 has gotten lighter. A thinner outside panel and lower profile vertical roll reduce bulk and allow the V10 to be the lightest Velocity pad ever. The core of the Velocity V10 has also been stiffened a bit compared to the V9 core. Vaughn had switched out some of the LD foams to HD foams to achieve a stiffer core without losing the classic Velocity feel.
The strapping system of the Velocity V10 has been changed as well from the V9. The RRC strapping system has been thinned out to help eliminate any interference between the straps. There is also a new inner and outer option to lock into the shin area. The new inner option really locks the shin into the pad for goalies that want that tight fit. The traditional outer option will remain for goalies that liked the feel of the Velocity V9 shin area. The coverage around the back of the legs has also been extended.
The width of the Intermediate pads are 10.25 inches wide. This seems to be a perfect width for a intermediate goalie pad as it allows for the proper mobility while maximizing surface area proportionate to a young goalies height. Some intermediate pads are too wide which restricts movement, and some intermediate pads are too narrow which takes surface/blocking area away. Vaughn has seemed to find the perfect width at 10.25 inches wide.
Probably the biggest change will be in sizing. The Velocity V10 will have a flat boot channel. Vaughn intermediate leg pads tended to run on the tall side of the spectrum in past Velocity generations. The new boot will increase this as well. There is not a uniformed way of measuring goalie pads in the hockey industry, so a 30in Vaughn pad is very different then a CCM or Bauer 30in. leg pad. Please use our goalie pad sizing chart or call customer service with your ankle bone to middle of kneecap measurement to help with sizing questions.
Probably the biggest change will be in sizing. The Velocity V10 will have a flat boot channel. The flat boot channel raises the entire pad up so therefore goalies may notice they are in a different size compared to the Velocity V9.
The Vaughn Velocity V10 will continue to use the Quick Slide material on the inner edges and wear areas. The Quick Slide material has been a huge success with many believing this is the best slide material in the goalie market today. The Quick Slide material greatly increases side to side movement and makes bad third period ice feel like a fresh clean sheet of ice.
Goalies Plus Special Edition – A few spec changes that we have on the Special Edition gear. First is a leather boot strap vs. the elastic boot strap. We feel that goalies that use a boot strap want that strap to anchor the pad onto the heal. An elastic boot strap allows the pad to float more than this type of goalie wants. If a goalie wants the pad to float more at the ankle area, then having no boot strap is a better way to go. In that situation, a goalie can easily cut off the boot strap and eliminate it all together.
For 2023, we choose to go with the single break instead of the double break. We still love the double break but since we also have the Velocity Iceberg Series which is a double-break pad, it seemed redundant to have two Velocity pads that are nearly identical with the exact same features on them. If you would like a double-break pad, please go see our 2023 Velocity Iceberg Series.
Also, for 2023, Goalies Plus will be offering seven custom color ways exclusive to our store:
- Black, Red & White
- White, Powder Blue & Black
- White & Navy Blue
- White, Metallic Gold & Black
- White, Orange & Black
- All White – Graphic in White Quick-slide
- All Black – Graphic in Black Quick-slide
Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Leg Pads Features:
- Model Year: 2023
- Exclusive colors at Goalies Plus
- Firm internal core with HD side rails for greater pad stability
- Quick-slide material on inner pad edge
- Easy flex lower scoop design
- Integrated knee landing pad attached to inner core for immediate pad response
- Extended back leg coverage
- Lower profile outside roll with single break style
- Plus 2″ thigh-rise with square shaped inside edge
- Thinner outside panel profile for less bulk
- Pre-curved shape for precise shape
- Two-way adjustable knee cradle strap
- Knee cradle center for quick pad rotation and control
- Wider inner knee landing surface
- Three knee roll design with flat knee rolls
- Inner foam core with carbon surface reinforcement
- Pad shape maximizes full width top to bottom full 11″ width
- Outer knee cradle pad is adjustable or removable
- Reinforced instep with flat profile to facilitate skate movement during pad rotation
Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Catch Glove – Special Edition
New for 2023 is the Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Catch Glove. The design of the Velocity V10 Pro glove keeps the traditional 60 degree.
Vaughn has made a huge emphasis on the Velocity V10 to be game ready off the shelf. We noticed this right away when we received these gloves. These gloves have a game ready feel right out of the bag that open and close with easy. This will eliminate a lot of the timely breaking in period that most goalies hate.
Some notable changes for 2023 include the one-piece thumb. The Velocity has generally been a two-piece thumb/cuff design. The Velocity V10 will only come with the one-piece design. This allows the goalie to have maximum surface area while maintaining wrist flexibility. The wrist flexibility is popular among goalies who stick handle with the pocket of the glove in a downward position. In this downward position the goalie needs a good bit of wrist movement to be able to properly play the puck. The Velocity V10 glove will use a wider and deeper split T with a U-shaped pocket in the V10 catch glove. At the base of the pocket there is a single t that splits into a double T the higher it goes in the pocket. The U-shaped design with the single T at the base allows the glove much more flexibility than a traditional glove with a double T going the entire way to the base of the pocket. As the pocket transitions from the single T at the base to the double T in the pocket, the glove becomes very soft and deep in the main catching area of the glove. The Velocity V10 Pro glove can be heat molded for a customized fit.
Vaughn will keep the thumb angle which is extremely popular among pro and college goalies. This angle is closely related to the 5500 glove and the first generation V1 glove (commonly referred to as the Kipper Spec). This angle has a more natural feel when closing the glove and seems to give better closure by changing the angle. The thumb mold on the Velocity V10 has been lengthen by a bit which again is more similar to the popular 5500 gloves. The overall profile of the glove has been thinned out which allows for greater flexibility off the shelf without compromising protection by adding extra padding on the inner palm.
Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Catch Glove Features:
- Model Year: 2023
- New V10 Graphic
- All new design and shape to maximize net coverage
- New wide span and deep T-web design
- One-piece cuff and thumb
- Easy close design with deep pocket area
- Molded palm and front thumb insert
- Deeper back thumb profile for added hand comfort
- Double layer reinforced finger perimeter edge
- HD foam in back pad over fingers
- Finger tip deflecting rail with HD foams
- Reinforced T-top for greater web stability
- Inner hand strap for retention and control
- Cuff with no binding maximizes blocking surface
- 43″ perimeter size
- 60° angle palm break with easy flex
- Mesh finger stalls for comfort and heat dispersal
- Added padding in wrist strap for increased comfort
- Heat moldable for precise fit
- Defined break points for easy closing
- Regular – Glove goes on the left hand
- Full Right – Glove goes on the right hand
Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Blocker – Special Edition
The Velocity V10 Pro goalie blocker is based on the popular Velocity V9 blocker with a few updates. Vaughn has widened the cuff the of the Velocity V10 Blocker to allow for great wrist mobility. A higher hand position will allow for more net coverage as it allows the bottom of the blocker to extend longer than previous generation Velocity blockers.
The Velocity V10 blocker also got rid of the contoured side wall of the V9 and replaced it with a flat side wall. The flat side wall provides more net coverage if a goalie turns their blocker hand over while making a save.
The finger area provides an index finger trigger design which helps the goalie control the paddle of the goalie stick more effectively when they are in their ready position. The thumb of the Velocity V10 is a molded design which ensures the thumb protection does not lose it shape over time.
Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Blocker Features:
- Model Year: 2023
- New V10 graphics for distinctive look and appeal
- Reinforced front board for more precise puck deflection
- Deep board top bend for puck deflection
- Molded inner core foam board with thick HD Foam for added rigidity
- Back hand cushion pad for comfort and protection
- Palm with index and small finger trigger design provides more comfort and grip
- Mesh palm gussets for ventilation
- High hand position creates added net coverage
- Finger protectors with HD foam protection
- Side index finger double layered protection
- Large solid side shield
- Palm design for dexterity and stick control
- Tapered bottom edge for tighter seal when down to the ice surface
- Floating cuff design increases wrist movement\
- Regular – Blocker goes on the right hand
- Full Right – Blocker goes on the left hand