Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Leg Pads – Special Edition
The Vaughn Velocity is turning double digits this generation. No other equipment line has had the lasting sustainability of the Velocity series. Building off the extremely popular Velocity V9, the new Velocity V10 makes some changes that will continue to improve the Velocity pads. Staring with weight, the Velocity V10 has gotten lighter. A thinner outside panel and lower profile vertical roll reduce bulk and allow the V10 to be the lightest Velocity pad ever. The core of the Velocity V10 has also been stiffened a bit compared to the V9 core. Vaughn had switched out some of the LD foams to HD foams to achieve a stiffer core without losing the classic Velocity feel.
The strapping system of the Velocity V10 has been changed as well from the V9. The RRC strapping system has been thinned out to help eliminate any interference between the straps. There is also a new inner and outer option to lock into the shin area. The new inner option really locks the shin into the pad for goalies that want that tight fit. The traditional outer option will remain for goalies that liked the feel of the Velocity V9 shin area. The coverage around the back of the legs has also been extended.
The width of the Intermediate pads are 10.25 inches wide. This seems to be a perfect width for a intermediate goalie pad as it allows for the proper mobility while maximizing surface area proportionate to a young goalies height. Some intermediate pads are too wide which restricts movement, and some intermediate pads are too narrow which takes surface/blocking area away. Vaughn has seemed to find the perfect width at 10.25 inches wide.
Probably the biggest change will be in sizing. The Velocity V10 will have a flat boot channel. Vaughn intermediate leg pads tended to run on the tall side of the spectrum in past Velocity generations. The new boot will increase this as well. There is not a uniformed way of measuring goalie pads in the hockey industry, so a 30in Vaughn pad is very different then a CCM or Bauer 30in. leg pad. Please use our goalie pad sizing chart or call customer service with your ankle bone to middle of kneecap measurement to help with sizing questions.
Probably the biggest change will be in sizing. The Velocity V10 will have a flat boot channel. The flat boot channel raises the entire pad up so therefore goalies may notice they are in a different size compared to the Velocity V9.
The Vaughn Velocity V10 will continue to use the Quick Slide material on the inner edges and wear areas. The Quick Slide material has been a huge success with many believing this is the best slide material in the goalie market today. The Quick Slide material greatly increases side to side movement and makes bad third period ice feel like a fresh clean sheet of ice.
Goalies Plus Special Edition – A few spec changes that we have on the Special Edition gear. First is a leather boot strap vs. the elastic boot strap. We feel that goalies that use a boot strap want that strap to anchor the pad onto the heal. An elastic boot strap allows the pad to float more than this type of goalie wants. If a goalie wants the pad to float more at the ankle area, then having no boot strap is a better way to go. In that situation, a goalie can easily cut off the boot strap and eliminate it all together.
For 2023, we choose to go with the single break instead of the double break. We still love the double break but since we also have the Velocity Iceberg Series which is a double-break pad, it seemed redundant to have two Velocity pads that are nearly identical with the exact same features on them. If you would like a double-break pad, please go see our 2023 Velocity Iceberg Series.
Also, for 2023, Goalies Plus will be offering seven custom color ways exclusive to our store:
- Black, Red & White
- White, Powder Blue & Black
- White & Navy Blue
- White, Metallic Gold & Black
- White, Orange & Black
- All White – Graphic in White Quick-slide
- All Black – Graphic in Black Quick-slide
Vaughn Velocity V10 Pro Intermediate Goalie Leg Pads Features:
- Model Year: 2023
- Exclusive colors at Goalies Plus
- Firm internal core with HD side rails for greater pad stability
- Quick-slide material on inner pad edge
- Easy flex lower scoop design
- Integrated knee landing pad attached to inner core for immediate pad response
- Extended back leg coverage
- Lower profile outside roll with single break style
- Plus 2″ thigh-rise with square shaped inside edge
- Thinner outside panel profile for less bulk
- Pre-curved shape for precise shape
- Two-way adjustable knee cradle strap
- Knee cradle center for quick pad rotation and control
- Wider inner knee landing surface
- Three knee roll design with flat knee rolls
- Inner foam core with carbon surface reinforcement
- Pad shape maximizes full width top to bottom full 11″ width
- Outer knee cradle pad is adjustable or removable
- Reinforced instep with flat profile to facilitate skate movement during pad rotation