Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Carbon Chest & Arm Protector
Vaughn V9 Chest Protector Style – Athletic Hybrid Style
The new Vaughn V9 Pro Carbon Chest & Arm protector is the next generation of the extremely popular VE8 Chest Protector series. The engineers at Vaughn have listened to their goalies and have added several new features that makes the V9 even better then the VE8 (which happened to be one of the best selling pro chest protector units for the past two years). New for 2020 is the use of the Pure Carbon material that will be added into all major impact zones including the newly designed shape of the shoulder floaters. The V9 shoulder floaters will have a more square shape to them without losing any of the mobility that the Velocity chest protector is known for. The arms on the V9 chest protector have also been re-engineered top to bottom including an adjustable arm length feature. Goalies can adjust the arm length very quickly and easily in the matter of seconds. Shoulder caps will be attached to the upper arm to add another layer of protection. These will also protect the upper arm when adjusting the arm length as it will seal any hole that may be created in the adjustment process. The bicep area has a new design as well. The cap of the bicep has been flattened out with extra protection in this area (one complaint goalies would have about previous Vaughn units was lack of protection in this area). Along with more padding in the front of the bicep area, the side profile of the bicep area has been made deeper with an extra outer extension pad. The arm floaters also have a new mid bar pad in the center seam which eliminates any gap there may be while a goalie is flexing there arms. The arm floaters have also had HD Foam and Carbon inserts added for extra protection.
A new vertical adjustment system has been added to allow a goalie to adjust how high or how low a goalie wants the throat and shoulder area to sit. The rib area has also been extended on the V9 along with a new quick style strapping system. Similar to the goalie pad strapping, the new V9 uses a velcro attachment for quick and easy fitting. The great thing about all of these new features is the V9 still has the great mobility that the Velocity line is known for. There is a reason that Vaughn chest protectors account for 50% of all chest protectors worn in the NHL.
The Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Carbon Special Edition version comes in all black and also has unique arm and chest size combinations.
Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Carbon Chest Protector Features:
- Model Year: 2020
- Domestically made in the USA
- New Pure Composite in all major impact areas
- HD foams used for light weight and increased protection
- New style chest pad straps
- New chest design expands coverage area
- Extended side rib cage coverage
- New chest pad vertical adjustment system
- Large back pad with HD foam over spine area
- Large style shoulder floaters for maximum coverage
- Large shoulder cap cushions provide increased impact resistance
- HD shoulder with extension to increase protection in arm pit area
- New design holds shoulder floaters square and secure
- New V9 graphics and color scheme for more visual appeal
- Kevlar ballistic package in chest pad for maximum protection
- Designed for light weight and comfort with extreme adjustability
- Segmented shoulder floaters with HD foam and Pure Carbon inserts
- Mesh arm base adds ventilation and flexibility
- New style flat front surface arm caps increase coverage area
- Wrist straps to taper forearms to wrist
- Outer bicep extension pad
- Deeper inside arm profile and protection
- Arm floaters with new mid bar pad in center seam
- Arm floaters with HD and Carbon inserts for added protection
- Molded Zote foam and HD foam elbow caps
- Adjustable arm length and positioning for precise custom fit
- Available in sizes XS, S, M, L, XL
- Custom colors and sizing are available on custom order
Athletic Style (Hybrid) Vs. Blocking Style (Coverage) Chest Protectors
There are two basic designs in the goalie market in regards to chest protectors. These are based on the two types of styles that goalies play – hybrid and coverage. The hybrid goalie needs a more athletic style chest protector that allows him/her to move freely and maximize their agility. These units contour around the body with little to no gaps. The shoulder floaters are also smaller and form around the goalie in a more natural manner. Arms and elbow guards move freely and do not bind up, allowing for maximum mobility. The big upside to having an athletic style chest protector is the movement and freedom these provide. The downside to the athletic style chest is a decrease in size and materials. Now we are not saying they are not protective because most chest protectors are built to a very high standard and are have great protection qualities. However to make something move better you have to take something away and by doing this there will obviously be less material. We can say honestly that athletic chest protectors are extremely protective and the added materials in the blocking style are more about taking up space then adding protection.
The blocking style chest protectors are built for the coverage goalies that like to play big and take up as much space in the net as possible. The shoulder floaters are much wider and usually have multiple layers. The arm and elbow guards are also flared wider to take up as much space as possible. The blocking style chest protector tends to have more gaps and extra space on the goalies body because of the extra size. The upside to the blocking style chest protectors is the extra space it takes up. These chest protectors can easily make the shoulder width of a goalie four to six inches wider compared to an athletic style chest protector. Also, since the arms and elbow are bigger, there are less gaps for the puck to squeeze between the goalies body and arms. The downside to these blocking style units is the lack of movement. Because of the extra bulk, movement can be compromised. You can’t have the best of both worlds, if you make it bigger it will take away mobility.