Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Senior Goalie Leg Pads – Double Break Special Edition
Double Break Version Exclusive to Goalie Plus: Goalies Plus is proud to be the only current USA dealer with a double break option on the Vaughn Velocity V9 goalie pads with exclusive custom colors. With the tremendous success of our VE8 Double Break pads, we have moved forward with the V9 double break option in 2020. So what does the double break feature really mean? Well we will start from the beginning, the Vaughn Velocity has always been the bench mark for hybrid goalie pads in the hockey industry. Starting with the original Vaughn Velocity line back in the early 2000’s through the Velocity V7’s, the Velocity has always been a double break pad (double break defined as a break in the vertical roll above and below the knee). At Goalies Plus we felt is was necessary to offer this option because of the functional aspect the double break provides. It is our opinion that when a goalie is selecting a Velocity goal pad, they are choosing it because it has softer, more flexible feel which a hybrid goalie prefers. The softer and flexible feel allows the pad to flex more as the goalie moves in and out of a variety of movements and techniques.
The double break allows for increased flexibility and greater lateral flex (more independent flexibility of the pad – top, middle and bottom). By having more lateral flex in the pads, the goalie has greater control and more natural movements compared to a stiffer version. Another reason we went with the double break was the increase coverage in the butterfly technique. A hybrid goalie considers themselves a hybrid for many reasons; size, mobility, body limitations, etc. A very common characteristic of a hybrid goalie is a narrow to medium width butterfly technique. Since a hybrid goalie will still utilize the butterfly technique, it is important that the pad can do its part. By having the double break on the pads, even a narrow width goalie can still perform a butterfly technique with full closure. Without the additional break in the pad, there is a possibility that the hybrid goalie will leave a gap in their five hole because the pads will not wrap around enough and seal the five hole area. We felt at Goalies Plus that is is much better to have the double break and not need it then to need the double break and not have it. For a wide butterfly goalie that wants a Velocity pad, the single break would be the better option however it is our opinion that a greater majority of hybrid goalies prefer having a double break.
As for the features of the Velocity V9 leg pads, a lot has changed from the VE8 version. The major difference compared to the previous generation is the active rebound benefit on the face of the Velocity V9. Vaughn has made the foams in the V9 more active and therefore the puck will rebound off the face of the pad with more energy.
Some other new features on the Velocity V9 leg pads are the addition of Quick Slide material on all stock models. The Quick Slide material was a huge success on the Vaughn Ventus SLR2 goalie leg pads and is now a stock option on the Velocity V9. The Quick Slide material greatly increases side to side movement and makes bad third period ice feel like a fresh clean sheet of ice. Vaughn has also widened the leg channel of the Velocity V9 and extended the wrap around protection on the back of the legs. The knee landing area on the Velocity V9 has been lengthened. This helps provide a second level of coverage in the butterfly position and is especially helpful for shots that squeeze through the thigh rise while making a save using the butterfly technique. The lengthened blocks seal nicely behind the thigh rise and seal up these types of situations.
Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Senior Goalie Leg Pads – Double Break Special Edition Features:
- Model Year: 2020
- Goalies Plus Special Edition Double Break
- Goalies Plus special color schemes
- Firmer front surface gives more active rebound
- Quick slide material on inner pad edge
- Bottom trim with quick slide material
- Lower skate strap with Elastic and Velcro closure
- Wide inner leg cradle with wider shape
- Extended back leg coverage
- Lower profile outside roll with single break style
- Plus 2” thigh rise with square shaped inside edge
- Thinner outside panel profile for less bulk
- Pre-curved shape for precise shape
- New inner knee cradle pad is adjustable
- Two-way adjustable knee cradle strap
- Knee cradle center with MSH speeds pad and leg rotation
- Wider inner knee landing surface
- Three knee roll design
- Inner core is more rebound active for 2020
- Scoop bend with easier flex
- Outer knee cradle pad is adjustable or removable
- Reinforced instep over skate
Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Senior Goalie Catch Glove – Special Edition
New for 2020 is the Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Catch Glove. The design of the Velocity V9 Pro glove keeps the traditional 60 degree. The Velocity V9 glove has the split T with a U shaped pocket. At the base of the pocket there is a single t that splits into a double T the higher it goes in the pocket. The U shaped design with the single T at the base allows the glove much more flexibility then a traditional glove with a double T going the entire way to the base of the pocket. As the pocket transitions from the single T at the base to the double T in the pocket, the glove becomes very soft and deep in the main catching area of the glove. The Velocity V9 Pro Carbon glove can be heat molded for a customized fit.
A deeper look into the Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro glove will show some new innovations for 2020. Starting with the thumb angle, Vaughn has changed the thumb angle a bit to feel like their more traditional gloves – particularly the 5500 and the first generation V1 glove (commonly referred to as the Kipper Spec). This angle has a more natural feel when closing the glove and seems to give better closure by changing the angle. Vaughn has added an extra layer of protection in the palm area for added protection which gives this glove the same protection as higher priced full custom catch gloves. Vaughn also uses a molded palm and thumb insert versus a pressed plastic palm and thumb insert. The reason this is important is because the molded design will keep its shape for a much, much longer period of time compared to a pressed plastic. When shots constantly hit a catch glove, the pressed plastic glove loses its shape (particularly in the thumb area) and will become flat over time. This causes shots to bounce out of the glove instead of deflecting into the pocket.
Goalies Plus has added a skate lace pocket to the Special Edition colors. This gives the pocket extra an soft feel and overall easier to catch the puck.
Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Carbon Goalie Catch Glove Features:
- Model Year: 2020
- New V9 Graphic
- Special Edition skate lace pocket
- Two-piece cuff and front design
- Defined break point for easy closing
- Reinforced finger perimeter edge
- Floating cuff design for added wrist movement
- Hex mesh inner lining for faster drying
- HD Foam in the back finger area for added protection to the backhand
- Finer tip deflecting rail with HD Foams
- Deep back thumb molds add stability and comfort
- 45” max perimeter size
- Cuff with no binding maximizes blocking surface
- Four section backhand padding for extra flexibility
- Internal grip rail on inside palm for more closing grip
- Mesh finger stalls for comfort and heat dispersal
- Full wrist strap allows for tighter adjustment
- Added padding in wrist strap for increased comfort
- Regular – Glove goes on the left hand
- Full Right – Glove goes on the right hand
Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Senior Goalie Blocker – Special Edition
New for 2020 is the Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Senior Blocker. The main item of concern for Vaughn when designing the V9 Pro blocker was getting a more active rebound off the blocker face and the V9 blocker does have a more active rebound compared to past Velocity blockers. With a large bindingless surface, the Velocity V9 Pro blocker takes up the maximum (8in. X 15in.) surface area under NHL, NCAA, USA Hockey, Hockey Canada and IIHF rules. The new finger area provides an index finger trigger design which helps the goalie control the paddle of the goalie stick more effectively when they are in their ready position. Vaughn also designed the Velocity V9 Pro Blocker with a floating cuff to enhance wrist flexibility for puck control when stick handling. The thumb of the Velocity V9 is a molded design which ensures the thumb protection does not lose it shape over time. The palm of the Velocity V9 Blocker has also been redesigned for 2020. The new palm is angled specifically for the needs of a goalie versus taking a player glove palm and throwing on a goalie blocker. This will improve comfort and overall performance.
Goalies Plus will be offering Special Edition colors in the Velocity V9 series. The V9 Special Edition blocker does not have any additional spec changes (which the pads and catch gloves do have spec changes).
Vaughn Velocity V9 Pro Goalie Blocker Features:
- Model Year: 2020
- New V9 Graphic
- Six special custom colors
- Thick foam inner board for increased stiffness
- Top bend design for puck deflection
- Laced down blocker face for superior puck control
- Back hand cushion pad for comfort and protection
- Palm with index and small finger trigger design
- Finger protectors with composite core
- Side finger protection
- Large index finger side protection
- New palm design for improved fit and comfort
- Full Pro Spec construction
- Side shield with HD foam for stability
- Floating cuff design for increased wrist movement
- Regular – Blocker goes on the right hand
- Full Right – Blocker goes on the left hand