Vaughn Ventus SLR2 Pro Carbon Senior Goalie Leg Pads
New for 2019 is the second generation of the popular Ventus line from Vaughn. The Ventus SLR2 line was created as an option to the Vaughn Velocity line. The Velocity series is a flexible and soft pad that is extremely popular with hybrid style goalies. Some Vaughn pro goalies wanted a hybrid pad that was a bit stiffer then the Velocity pad but did not want a stiff blocking style/butterfly style pad. With input from goalies like Matt Murray of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings, the Ventus SLR series was born. The SLR and now SLR2 series is a combination of a hybrid and butterfly style pad combined into one.
Some of the new features is the SLR2 pad are a stiffer section from the knee up which allows for greater coverage in the butterfly position by keeping the thigh rise rigid. From the knee down, the Ventus SLR2 pad has a softer feel compared to a traditional blocking/butterfly pad which allows for better movement and easier recovery techniques. The face of the SLR2 pad is very firm which allows the puck to rebound off the pad at greater distances compared to a traditional hybrid style pad. Also new on the Ventus SLR2 pad is the new inner edge material. Vaughn is now using a quick slide material on the inner edge, the knee landing and outer calf wrap. This quick slide material will greatly increase the side to side speed of a goalies butterfly slide. This material will help tremendously later in games when the ice is chalked up and slow. Another new feature of the Ventus SLR2 pad is the toe bungee system. For years manufactures like Vaughn have used skate lace to connect the toe of the pad to the toe of the skate. In recent years, after market bungee toe tie products have become very popular because they allow the toe of the pad to stretch from the toe of the skate with an elastic type effect. This stretching and recoiling improves the recovery process of a goalie but also takes pressure off the goalies ankles, knees and hips because it eliminates the quick stop and jerk process that skate lace has when it runs out of slack. The vertical roll on the SLR2 has also been changed for 2019. The vertical roll (outer roll) is now a triangular design which eliminates weight and increases rebound control. The last change we would like to mention on the 2019 SLR2 pad is the top binding. Just like on the 2018 Velocity VE8, Vaughn has gone to a more square and stronger top binding. This style binding allows for a stronger and tighter seal when the goalie is utilizing the butterfly technique.
Vaughn Ventus SLR2 Pro Carbon Senior Leg Pads Features
- Full Pro core internal structure for pad stiffness
- One piece carbon fiber insert on front surface
- Solid outside roll with beveled profile shape
- Flat inner edge for added control
- High density internal pro core for performance
- Dual adjustable calf strap buckles
- Inner knee cradle with carbon support insert
- Adjustable angled side knee cradle design
- Knee design speeds pad rotation
- New bungee cord toe attachment
- New top thigh rise creates increased blocking surface
- Pre-shaped curve upper profile for improved 5 hole closure
- Rotation control strap with magnetic buckle
- Composite core support increasing stiffness and durability
- Quick slide inner edge material for quick pad movement on the ice
- Made domestically in the USA
- Fully customizable by Goalies Plus: start here.
Differences from the original SLR Pad and the new SLR2 Pads:
SLR2 is approximately 10% lighter then the original.
SLR2 uses a speed slide material on the inner portion of the pad, original SLR did not.
SLR2 has a more square and stronger top binding then the SLR.
SLR2 uses a bungee toe tie system vs. traditional skate lace on the SLR
SLR2 has a triangular vertical roll vs. a traditional square roll on the SLR
SLR2 leg channel is wider then the original SLR